Michelle Yeoh is a fine actress and martial artist. The first Asian woman to win Best Actress. I realize that my defending a BIPOC against racists will likely be taken down, so let me put them here, where they may be safer. Whenever Michelle Yeoh is on screen, it comes alive, and she really does give power and traction to her films.
The trolls and racists on the internet are coming after her, so let me defend Michelle Yeoh’s victory. Not simply because I’m a BIPOC actor and member of SAG who proudly voted for the first Asian woman to win Best Actress. But because I believe we have a duty to respond in a timely way against attacks against women, and all the more when they are tinged by racism and racial innuendo. The unwarranted criticisms of Michelle Yeoh do not stand up to reason and should not be accepted, not even in passing. I realize that my defending a BIPOC against racists will likely be taken down from social media, so let me put them here, where they may be safer. This is why I created Brego.com. So, let’s do this.
Such racist inspired comments. Allow me to reframe.
- It’s an acting awards show.
- Just say it’s because she’s Asian that it bothers you.
- On her being born wealthy: Would you say the same of Taylor Swift…or Robert Downey Jr.? Or Jake Gyllenhaal, Darren Criss, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Adam Levine, Park Bo-gum, and Felicity Huffman and William H Macy?
- Acting and doing it as a martial artist on Yeoh’s level not only represents days of hard work, but YEARS! And guess what
- She chose that hard work path…and NOBODY handed that to her. So, get busy. and find your own success path.
- Don’t criticize her looks, as most of you own a mirror and know the truth.
- The dress, I cannot excuse. That might be fair game. Cheerio! There…much better.